Bemanningsleden Admiraliteit en MCC Engels

zgzwartelijn500 zgzwartelijn140blauw zgzwartelijn300

• Admiralty Ship Crew Zeeland 1700-1793
During the Republic the Admiralty Board regulated in all matters concerning the war Zealand to water. The archives of this college founded in the National Archives in The Hague (partly on microfilm at the Zeeuws Archief). The financial settlement of the naval war was in the hands of the Receiver General of Zeeland. He justified this in his 'water bills' to the Audit Office of Zeeland. In the archives of this office accounts and attachments are kept. In the annexes to the accounts of the Receiver General also numerous muster rolls and pay rolls of the ships are included.
The names of the crew of the Zeeland Admiralty are collected by Mr. P.F. Poortvliet from rolls. The result is published by the Working Group of the Department Prae1600Club Zeeland of the Dutch Genealogical Society ("The crews of the ships of the Admiralty of Zeeland, 1610-1793 (1796). 26 parts ([Kapelle] 1995-1996 / Den Helder 1997)', as in Zeeuws Archief NADT 72). The period 1700-1793 has been digitized and added to Zeeuwen Gezocht.

Crew ships Middelburgsche Commercie Compagnie 1721-1802
In 1720 merchants in Middelburg united in the Middelburgsche Commercie Compagnie (MCC). Initially the MCC drove mainly trade in the Mediterranean and West Indies. There were trading contacts with the Baltic, Arctic, White Sea, France and the Iberian peninsula (Spain and Portugal). The MCC also drove trade on West Africa, especially Guinea and Angola. There were mainly gold, ivory and other products of the land purchased. The company was also engaged for a short time in fishing and whaling.

In 1730 the WIC lost the monopoly on the slave trade between Africa and South America. From that year, the MCC engaged in the slave trade. The first slave ship was fitted in 1730. For the trip back to the Netherlands were still no returned goods included.

The first successful voyage of the triangle by the MCC took place in 1732. After a difficult start, the triangle travel became the main source of income for the MCC. In total, the company undertook 113 triangle trips. The company stopped the slave trade in 1807 and focused on the shipyard and ropewalk. In 1889 the MCC lifted.

The archives of the MCC is in the Zeeuws Archief and in the years 1945-1950 inventoried by the archivist W.S. Unger. An important part of this archive contains documents relating to the voyages of the ships of this company, such as muster rolls and pay rolls of the crew, the journal of the trip, the financial records of each trip with pieces as supercargo and 'negotieboeken' (registrations of the trade).

In the first half of the nineties of the last century Mr. P.F. Poortvliet had collected the names of the crew of the ships of the MCC from the muster rolls and pay rolls. The result was published in 1995 by the Working Group of the Department Prae1600Club Zeeland of the Dutch Genealogical Society (The crews of the ships of the Middelburg Commercial Company from 1721 to 1803, in Zeeuws Archief NADT 161). The digital file is presented by Mr. Poortvliet to the Zeeuws Archief. This file is edited and added to the website Zeeuwen Gezocht.

Some information in the muster rolls and pay rolls is taken such as the date of signing and details of termination of employment (desertion or death). The amount of wages paid, and references to wills and estate distributions are found in the original records.

At the head of each ship was the captain. Other functions were those of: mate, (in) mate, chief master, (sub) master, chief surgeon, surgeon, chief cooper, cooper, chief carpenter, carpenter, steward, steward size, boatswain, boatswain's size, sailmakers, sailor and boy.

The origin of the crew is not just Zeeland, but especially Germany and Scandinavia. The often strange names are phonetically written down by the writers of the MCC and the name of a person is not always clearly recorded during his service. The file contains 11,788 records of crew members.

The inventory of the archive is available on the website www.archieven.nl.

[last updated: August 19, 2016]

  e. hoogerheijden stadhuiscoll. mburg 065 det1